Running a space like ours requires a lot of continuous maintenance work that may not be immediately obvious when you're new. All members are expected to help out with this - there are no 'staff', only volunteers.
Keeping the Makerspace in shape
People are expected to clean up after themselves, as mentioned in the rules, but beyond that we ask that you help us maintain the Space. We have a lot of members that make use of our facilities, and it adds up quickly.
A few good rules of thumb:
- Strive to do one maintenance task every time you visit. You're already helping if you only take out some rubbish/recycling or wipe a few desks clean.
- Aim to leave our facilities in a better state than you found them.
- If you don't know how things work and the wiki doesn't help then just ask around. Then update the wiki!
Easy maintenance tasks
- Take away the waste
- Tidy a workbench
- Clean the kitchen
- Put some tools away
- Clean the bathroom
- Hoover the main room
- Hoover the workshop (with a shopvac) - sweeping is best minimised as it hurls up dust.
- Wipe down the desks
- Check consumables. We rely on members to let us know when consumables are low.
Improving the Space
If you want to get stuck in improving the space infrastructure, have a look at our to-do list and see what you can help with.
Don't forget to check the list of things we need in case you have some of the items surplus to your requirements!